Understanding Your Rights as a Homeowner

As a homeowner, understanding your rights under the HIA Contract in the face of construction delays and EoT is vital. Here’s how our experienced construction lawyers can guide you through disputing an EoT Claim.

  1. Review the HIA Contract: The HIA Contract sets out the terms and conditions of the construction project, including the builder’s entitlement to an extension of time. Reviewing this contract will help you understand your rights and obligations.
  2. Provide written notice of dispute: If you disagree with the builder’s claim for an extension of time, you must provide written notice of dispute within 5 working days of receiving the builder’s notice. This notice should detail the reasons why you are disputing the Extension of Time Claim.
  3. Negotiate in good faith: The HIA Contract requires both parties to negotiate in good faith and make reasonable efforts to resolve any disputes. This means that you should communicate clearly and openly with the builder and work towards a mutually beneficial solution.
  4. Seek legal advice: If you are unsure of your rights or need assistance in disputing an Extension of Time Claim, seek legal advice from an experienced construction lawyer.

Understanding your rights as a homeowner is the first step in disputing an Extension of Time Claim. By familiarising yourself with the terms of the HIA Contract and taking action in a timely manner, you can protect your interests and ensure that your construction project stays on track.

Common Issues in Extension of Time Disputes

Disputing an Extension of Time Claim can be a complicated and time-consuming process. Homeowners may face a variety of issues when challenging a builder’s claim, including

  • Lack of evidence: Disputing an Extension of Time Claim requires evidence to support your position. If you do not have adequate evidence, it can be difficult to present a strong case.
  • Unclear communication: Communication between the homeowner and builder is critical in any construction project. If there is a breakdown in communication, it can lead to misunderstandings and disputes.
  • Misinterpretation of the HIA Contract: The HIA Contract is a complex legal document that can be difficult to interpret. If you do not fully understand the terms of the contract, it can be challenging to dispute an Extension of Time Claim.
  • Time constraints: Disputing an Extension of Time Claim requires prompt action. If you do not provide written notice of dispute within the required timeframe, you may lose your right to challenge the claim.

Despite these challenges, there are steps that homeowners can take to overcome these issues and present a strong case. Seeking legal advice from an experienced construction lawyer can help you navigate the process and ensure that you have the evidence and support you need to dispute the builder’s claim.

Streamline Your Extension of Time Claims with HBApp

Dealing with extension of time claims in construction can be complex and stressful. Home Building App (HBApp) offers a comprehensive solution, empowering homeowners to navigate these challenges with ease and confidence.

HBApp – Your Partner in Managing Construction Timelines

  • Efficient Documentation: HBApp simplifies the process of organising and accessing critical project documents, essential for substantiating extension of time claims. 
  • Transparent Task Tracking: Keep a real-time check on project progress and task completions with HBApp, crucial for addressing time-related disputes in construction projects. 
  • Streamlined Communication: Facilitate clear and effective communication between homeowners and builders, a key factor in mitigating disputes over time extensions.

Our Services

If you are a homeowner disputing an Extension of Time Claim, our team of experienced construction lawyers can help. We offer a range of services designed to assist homeowners in resolving Extension of Time disputes, including:

  • Review of the HIA Contract: We will review the terms of the HIA Contract and provide advice on your rights and obligations.
  • Assistance with written notice of dispute: We can help you prepare a written notice of dispute that meets the requirements of the HIA Contract.
  • Evidence gathering: Our team can assist in gathering the evidence needed to support your dispute, including documentation and witness statements.
  • Negotiation: We can negotiate on your behalf with the builder to achieve a fair and reasonable resolution to the dispute.
  • Representation in court or tribunal: If the dispute cannot be resolved through negotiation, we can represent you in court or the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal to ensure that your rights are protected.

Our team of EoT claims experts offers comprehensive services for homeowners disputing EoTs. This includes contract review, evidence gathering, negotiation, and representation in court, all backed by our extensive experience in construction law.

Get Expert Construction Contract Review and Advice

Expert contract review and advice is just a step away. Connect with us to explore how we can assist with your construction law needs.

Get Your HIA Contract Reviewed Now

Step 1: Simply fill out this form and upload your contract.

Step 2: We’ll review it and return to you with a fixed fee quote.

Minimise construction risks on cost, time, and quality.
Get Home Building Contract Review and Advice now.

Contact Us

For homeowners disputing an EoT claim under the HIA Contract, our specialist construction lawyers, with over a decade of expertise in construction law and EoT claims, are here to help.

We have extensive experience advising homeowners on the Extension of Time clauses and have represented numerous clients in litigation involving these issues. Our team is committed to providing you with the highest quality legal services and working towards the best possible outcome for your case.

To schedule a consultation with our team, please contact us at 02 8096 8576. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have and provide you with the support and guidance you need to resolve your dispute.