NSW 2009, Australia

100 Harris St, Pyrmont

24/7 Customer Support

Mon - Fri: 8:00 - 18:00

You can call us 24/7 for urgent matters

How to Claim Payment for Construction Work Under the Security of Payment Act

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Is debt recovery from unpaid construction work a challenge for you? Find a quick, simple solution via the Security of Payment Act (NSW).

Table of Contents

What is Security of Payment?

Security of Payment is the mechanism by which persons who carry out construction work, or supply related goods and services, are able to recover progress payments. 

The basis for this is the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (NSW) a.k.a. Security of Payment Act – a law that does away with the outdated “pay when paid” system. 

In the past, subcontracting agreements often contained a clause where the subcontractor may only recover payment when their contractor or builder gets paid. 

Now, progress payments may be claimed regularly, without having to wait for your payor to first be paid. 

How the Security of Payment Act Works: An Overview

The Security of Payment Act enables you to claim progress payments/payments for construction work by the simple expedient of serving a “Payment Claim” on the person who owes you (we’ll call them the “Respondent”).

The Security of Payment Process, in a nutshell

Respondent should send you a Payment Schedule within 10 business days from the time they receive your Payment Claim – if they feel that the amount they owe is less than what you’re claiming.

If they don’t serve a Payment Schedule, they will be required to pay the full amount of your claim, to be paid on the due date stated in your construction contract.

Then, you have 2 options to enforce your claim:

1) lodge a collection case in court (“enforcement proceedings”)


2) commence adjudication proceedings.

You will have the same 2 options as the above:

1) lodge a collection case in court (“enforcement proceedings”)


2) commence adjudication proceedings.

How We Can Help

If you have overdue, unpaid, or underpaid construction work and would like to recover the payment you’re owed, our specialist construction lawyers can help you through the entire process, from preparing a valid Payment Claim, to assisting you in adjudication, and representing you in enforcement proceedings, as the case may be.
If you would like to learn more about how you can recover payment via the Security of Payment Act, feel free to give us a call. First consult is absolutely free.

Recent Posts​

ABIC NSW Contracts: Architect’s Guide

Find out what you need to know on:

  1. How to administer the ABIC Contract
  2. ABIC Contract Dispute Resolution
  3. How to assess a progress claim under the ABIC Contract
  4. Other important terms in the ABIC Contract

Send us a message. We’d love to hear from you.​

You can be confident that you are getting
the right legal advice.

Contracts Specialist is a Sydney-based construction law firm that deals with Building Disputes, Construction Contracts, Debt Recovery, and Security of Payment. With Contracts Specialist, you are ensured that you are in good hands.

Working hours

8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
(Phone until 18:00 Hrs)
Friday - 8:00-18:00

We are here

100 Harris St, Pyrmont, NSW 2009, Australia
Phone:+02 8096 8576 I Call us 24/7 for urgent matters
Email: john@contractsspecialist.com.au

Master Builders Association Logo - Membership NSW
Small Builders Building Software Official Logo
The Law Society of New South Wales Logo
100 Harris St, Pyrmont NSW 2009 Australia

Copyright ©2021 Contracts Specialist. All Rights Reserved.

Fill out the Form to Download
How to Claim Payment for Construction Work Under the Security of Payment Act