About Our Law Firm
Contracts Specialist is a law firm with a strong focus on construction litigation. Our expertise extends to understanding the intricacies of NSW courts and tribunals, guiding you through the necessary legal processes. While we are not physically located in Wollongong, we are committed to legally serving the residents of Wollongong and its surrounding suburbs, including Woonona – Russell Vale, Figtree, and Dapto – Brownsville. Our tailored legal advice aims to navigate homeowners through Fair Trading Office procedures, the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT), and all courts of competent jurisdiction in NSW, ensuring a satisfactory outcome for your matter.
What is Litigation?
Litigation is a formal legal process that involves resolving disputes in a court setting, presided over by a judge and, in some cases, a jury. It is often the last resort for serious building disputes when initial negotiations, mediation, or other forms of dispute resolution have failed. While litigation can be time-consuming and costly, it provides a structured environment where both parties can present their case. It’s essential to either resolve the dispute expediently or be prepared to vigorously defend your claims and enforce your rights in court. This process is particularly relevant for homeowners for Wollongong and its surrounding suburbs, where building disputes can escalate quickly.
When to Seek Litigation
Building Dispute Lawyer
The Litigation Process
- Initial Client Consultation: The first step involves a thorough case review to decide whether to proceed with filing or defending a lawsuit.
- Pleadings: Our principal construction litigation lawyer, John Dela Cruz, drafts the necessary legal documents, drawing on his extensive experience in strata and building disputes.
- Experts and Discovery: We consult experts in fields like structural engineering and construction sequencing. Discovery procedures ensure both parties are well-informed.
- Pre-trial Review: This court attendance checks the readiness for trial, compliance with previous court orders, and witness availability.
- The Trial: This stage includes witness testimonies, cross-examinations, and persuasive arguments based on evidence.
- Settlement and Appeal: Settlement can occur at any stage, and appeals are considered if the trial outcome is unfavourable.
Meet Our Litigation Lawyer
At Contracts Specialist, our Principal Lawyer, John Dela Cruz, brings over 13 years of specialised experience in construction law to the table. His expertise spans a wide range of legal work, including construction contract review and advice services, particularly for homeowners and contractors in NSW. John has served in various prestigious roles, such as legal counsel for a Dow 30 construction company, Government Solicitor, and Divisional President of the Master Builders Association (NSW). His comprehensive understanding of construction law extends to all Australian states, making him well-equipped to address complex legal issues for Wollongong and its surrounding suburbs.