What types of disputes does NCAT handle?

NCAT handles various types of disputes related to building and construction, including:

  • Home building disputes, such as disputes between homeowners and builders regarding the quality of building work or disputes related to payment
  • Consumer and commercial disputes, such as disputes between consumers and traders regarding the sale of goods and services
  • Occupational division disputes, such as disputes between licensed tradespeople and their clients or disputes between licensed tradespeople and the governing bodies that regulate their industries.

NCAT provides a forum for parties to resolve their disputes in a fair, timely, and cost-effective manner.

How do I start a dispute resolution process in NCAT?

If you need to start a dispute resolution process in NCAT, there are several steps you need to follow. These include:

  • Filing an application:
    You can file an application online, by mail, or in person at an NCAT registry office. Make sure you have all the necessary information and documents before you begin.
  • Paying the application fee:
    There is an application fee that you need to pay when you file your application. The fee will vary depending on the type and complexity of your dispute.
  • Serving notice to the other party:
    Once your application has been filed and the fee has been paid, you need to give notice to the other party. This means sending them a copy of the application and any supporting documents. You can serve notice by mail, email, or in person.

By following these steps, you can begin the dispute resolution process in NCAT and work towards a resolution for your building dispute.

How long does the NCAT process take?

If you are involved in a building dispute and seeking resolution through NCAT, it’s natural to wonder how long the process will take. The duration of the NCAT process is subject to change and may depend on factors such as the complexity of the dispute, the number of parties involved, and the availability of evidence.

Typically, the NCAT dispute resolution process takes six to nine months. However, more complex disputes may take longer. It is important to ensure the matter is resolved as quickly as possible to avoid further financial and emotional stress.

Can I be represented by a lawyer in NCAT?

If you are a party to a building dispute in NCAT, you may be wondering if you can be represented by a lawyer. While legal representation is not mandatory in NCAT, it is generally allowed. Here are some points to consider:

  • NCAT’s rules regarding legal representation are set out in the Uniform Civil Procedure Rules 2005 (NSW).
  • There are circumstances where having a legal representative may be required, especially when the dispute is complex or involves a large amount of money.
  • A lawyer can provide valuable advice and guidance throughout the dispute resolution process, including representing you at a hearing.

It’s important to note that while NCAT allows legal representation, it is not a formal court, and the processes are generally less formal and more flexible. This means that parties are often able to represent themselves, and the tribunal member may provide guidance throughout the hearing.

What is the role of an expert witness in an NCAT dispute?

Expert witnesses play a crucial role in NCAT disputes, as they provide their professional opinions on technical or complex issues related to the dispute. Their role is to assist the Tribunal impartially, and their opinions must be based on factual evidence and their expertise in the relevant field. Expert witnesses may also participate in expert conclaves and conferences, where they can meet with other experts involved in the dispute to discuss and resolve any areas of disagreement.

Can I appeal an NCAT decision?

In case of dissatisfaction with an NCAT decision, appeals may be made on grounds such as errors of law or fact, procedural irregularities, or failure to consider relevant evidence. Appeals can be internal or external and may have varying time limits and procedures based on the dispute type and case. Seeking legal advice is recommended before appealing.

Resolve Your Building Dispute Now

Expert building dispute resolution is just a step away. Connect with our expert building dispute lawyer and start your journey to resolution.

Submit Your Building Dispute Details Here

Step 1: Simply fill out this form, upload your contract and any other dispute-related details.

Step 2: We’ll review it and return to you with a free quote.

Get an Expert Building Dispute Lawyer and Resolve Your Home Building Dispute Now. 


The NCAT building dispute process can be complex and stressful, but understanding its procedures and requirements is crucial for anyone navigating a dispute. We have provided answers to common questions regarding the process, but seeking professional advice can be helpful in specific cases.